By Michael Egan
Review by Ernest Edwards
This year I was able to see one out of the three shows that Yellowtree Theatre are presenting as part of their The Playwright Festival. These are new works that get staged readings, which is an important part of the process when working on new works. It’s great to be a member of the audience. Your reactions help the playwright know what is and is not working.
The play I was able to see is Slip by Michael Egan. I was at the final performance of the play. It’s a play dealing with a parent who is suffering from Alzheimer’s. The playwright has also dedicated this play to his parents.
There is a great cast who perform the stage reading of Slip at Yellowtree Theatre. Mick, the Dad is played by Stephen Yoakam, Mary, the Mom, is played by Molly Sue McDonald, Patrick is played by Michael Egan, and Lee is played by Thomasina Petrus.
It’s a very powerful play that spans several months. We see the affects of Alzheimer’s on Mick and how it affects his son Patrick and the nurse Lee. As the show goes on, we also discover that Mary is a figment of Mick’s imagination. She has been dead for years now.
The play ran for 90 minutes. I for one, would like to see this story become a fully staged play someday. It was very moving and powerful.
Yellowtree Theatre has also announced the shows for Season 19. Check out www.yellowtreetheatre.com for more information on Season 19 and how to purchase tickets.