Written for the stage by Greg Banks
Review by Ernest Edwards
Zephyr Theatre found a great venue for producing the play The Hobbit this summer. Outdoors at Aamodt’s Apple Farm in Stillwater. The play is based on the Tolkien book of the same name. I was at the closing weekend of the play. It was excellent. Well done!
It is the same script that was used by Theatre in the Round this spring. Zephyr Theatre has a smaller cast and also trimmed the script to be a 90 minute play with no intermission. Both productions were wonderful. I really can’t say one was better than the other. It was fun seeing a play outdoors with the woods in the background.
Actor Jeffry Nolan played all the “creatures”. When he wasn’t being the dwarf named Kili, he was a goblin, a troll, Gollum, a giant spider, and Smaug the dragon. He was definitely earning his sweat during this play. Bilbo was played by Grace Hillmyer, Gandalf was played by Antonisia Collins, Thorin was played by Brandon Brooks, and Anya Naylor was Balin. In addition there was some double and triple casting going on with the cast. There’s a lot of characters in The Hobbit.
While the show did close over the weekend. I want to say producing a play at Aamodt’s Apple Farm is a great idea. I hope Zephyr Theatre makes this an annual event.
| The stage, before the play begins. |