Mystic Pizza: A New Musical
![]() |
| Program Cover |
Based on the MGM Motion Picture
With Story and Characters by Amy Holdon Jones
Written by Sandy Rustin
Review by Ernest Edwards
I was at the National Tour’s stop of the new musical Mystic Pizza at the Ordway in downtown St. Paul.
I have never seen the 1988 movie. I know! It’s a Julia Robert’s movie too! This jukebox musical is full of fun 1980’s songs and brings the story of Mystic Pizza to totally awesome life on stage. At the center of the story is Kat, Jojo, and Daisy. Sisters and friends who are growing up, finding their way in life, becoming adults, pursuing dreams, looking for adventure, love, and sisterhood all while serving the towns favorite slice of pizza.
Mystic, Connecticut is a small fishing town. Everyone is town either works in the fishing industry or has family members who are employed in the fishing industry.
Kat just wants to get out of town, until she meets Charles Gordon Windsor Jr. They are both from different
![]() |
| Photo by Ernest Edwards |
worlds, financially speaking. Their attraction is electric. Daisy is working multiple jobs to be able to pay for university. Jojo can’t decide if she wants to marry the love of her life Bill. Liona Silvia owns the Mystic Pizza restaurant and is the gate keeper of her secret sauce. Times are tough and she is considering selling the business. It’s not an easy decision for her, and she feels like another mother figure to these young women. Times are tough and business is slow.
Lots of great talents in the cast. Kat is played by Kendall Becerra, JoJo is played by Lexi Frilles, Daisy is played by Chloe Lezotte, Charles Gordon Windsor Jr is played by Jack Baylis, Bill Montijo is played by Matt Woodward, Tim Travers was played by Travis Flynt the night I went, and Leon Silva is played magnificently by Tieisha Thomas. Such a great cast and talented cast.
I really liked the backdrops by set designer Joshua Warner. Costumes designed by Jen Caprio and Wig & Makeup designed by Roxanne De Luna help take us to the 1980s’.
The musical contains some of the following hits from the 1980’s. “Small Town”, “Girst Just Want to Have Fun”, “Addicted to Love”, “Take My Breath Away”, “The Power of Love”, “I Think We’re Alone Now”, “Hold On”, “Manic Monday”, “When I See You Smile”, “True Colors”, “All I Need is a Miracle”, “You Keep Me Hanging On”, “Hit Me With Best Shot”, “Mad About You”, “Never Gonna Give You Up”, “Nothing’s Going to Stop Us Now” and many more.
This was a fun romantic comedy of a musical with a great story and a fun selection of 1980’s music. Get out your favorite 80’s fashions, get that hair big, and head on over to the Ordway in downtown St. Paul for a fun night at Mystic Pizza. The show closes on Sunday October 11, 2026, check out www.ordway.org for tickets.

